Woody Allen is often quoted as saying that “80 percent of success in life is showing up!”
Imagine my surprise then when a friend organised a free marketing event for coaches and NONE of them turned up!
The very people that espouse the virtue of taking action to their clients failed to take action in this case. So why?
- They all agreed to attend prior to the event!
- It was free!
- It was what they needed!
- The speaker was an expert in the field!
I think at least 3 observations fall out of this event.
1. If something is free, then there is no loss to you personally if you don’t attend, other than to be known as someone that is unreliable. Free is easily abused!
2. Common wisdom is often not common action. People often know what they need to do, but work harder on finding reasons not to do something rather than just doing it.
3. If you are selecting a coach for your own growth and development, then ensure that they have a track record of taking action themselves.
(Unlike those that should have attended last night!) You deserve a coach that has actually completed something challening in their life, taken massive action to overcome something or at the very least demonstrated an ability to commit to something and follow through.
While disappointing, the evening was still successful because it consolidated a friendship and gave me an opportunity to meet some other people who at least had the strength of character to take themselves away from the flat screen ‘income reducer’.
Change the World